The Fishy Business of Fish Oil Supplements: Unmasking the Empty Claims


11/16/20232 min read

The Fishy Business of Fish Oil Supplements: Unmasking the Empty Claims
The Fishy Business of Fish Oil Supplements: Unmasking the Empty Claims


In the bustling market of dietary supplements, fish oil has long been hailed as a panacea for various health concerns. With a projected $2.4 billion in global sales by 2030, it is undeniably one of the most popular supplements. However, a recent study conducted by the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas has raised eyebrows, suggesting that the promises made on fish oil supplement labels might be nothing more than a sea of deception.

Dubious Claims on Supplement Labels

The study, published in JAMA Cardiology, reveals a staggering revelation about the health claims made by manufacturers on fish oil supplement packaging. Out of 2,819 supplements analyzed, a whopping 74% boasted health claims, ranging from heart and brain health to joint health, eye health, and immune function. What's more alarming is that only 19% of these claims were backed by the rigorous approval of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The remaining 81% comprised either broad or entirely unproven assertions about the supplements' structural or functional benefits within the body.

The Scope of Misleading Claims

One of the most startling aspects of the study was the sheer breadth of claims being made on fish oil supplement labels. From supporting heart health to enhancing mental function and even boosting immune function, the variety of assertions is as vast as the ocean itself. Dr. JoAnn E. Manson, chief of the Division of Preventive Medicine at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, notes that the labels can be exceptionally misleading to the general public, emphasizing the need for increased scrutiny and regulation in the industry.

Lack of Substantiating Evidence

Despite the widespread belief in the benefits of omega-3 fatty acids, which are naturally found in fish like salmon and mackerel, the same advantages do not seem to translate to fish oil supplements. Studies cited in the research point to the ineffectiveness of these supplements in preventing serious cardiovascular events. A 2018 study of over 15,000 people with diabetes found no difference in cardiovascular risk between those taking omega-3 supplements and those who were not. Similarly, a 2019 study with more than 25,000 participants showed no reduction in the risk of major cardiovascular events or cancer among fish oil supplement users.

The Preferred Alternative: Dietary Sources

In light of the dubious nature of fish oil supplements, nutritionists advocate for obtaining omega-3 and other fatty acids from natural dietary sources. Cold-water fish like salmon, herring, tuna, sardines, and mackerel, along with plant-based sources like flaxseed, walnut, soybean, canola, and olive oils, are recommended. Additionally, chia seeds, walnuts, olives, and eggs provide alternative, reliable sources of healthy fatty acids.

Regulatory Gaps and the Call for Change

The study concludes by underscoring significant gaps in the current regulations governing supplement labeling. The authors suggest that increased regulation may be essential to curb the misinformation prevalent in the industry and protect consumers from making ill-informed choices about their health.


In the evolving landscape of health and wellness, it is imperative to navigate the seas of information with caution. The study on fish oil supplements serves as a reminder that not all that glitters is gold, and the promises on supplement labels may be nothing more than empty claims. As consumers, it is crucial to remain vigilant, prioritize natural dietary sources, and advocate for enhanced regulation to ensure the integrity and transparency of the supplement industry.